Monday 3 September 2012

I bought this consciously edgy jumper with a wolf's face on it at the end of term, and my mother hated it so much she secreted it in my brother's wardrobe while I was away having the best time of my life in Guadeloupe under the pretence that he had 'the masculine shoulders to carry it off'. Don't know whether to see this as a compliment to my non-manly build, or whether to march in and seize the jumper whilst audibly mumbling about being a grown up and thus entitled to freely express myself with bad-taste wolf faces if I want to. As well as claiming it back on the grounds of basic human rights, I might actually need to wear it as I've packed all my clothes for Lyon so only have the dregs of sloppy wardrobe rejects left. My outfit options currently stand at a velvet shrug, some delightful green running leggings and a pair of shorts that don't fit me any more but am keeping for my first born child...fairly desperate sartorial times. The only way in which I could pull this look off would be to become one of the pioneers of the mashup movement, mixing combos of genres and decades like I had been dipped into a pot of molten 80s on one end, and drenched with bridesmaid on the other. Kind of like a Viennese Whirl biscuit, only that I'm a human, not confectionary. This mashup theme (bold makes it look more unstoppable) was at the centre of the Olympics closing ceremony - hence all the Jessie J crashing Queen's gig - and is apparently set to be the big trend for the end of this year, so I'm getting in there before the masses so I can look cool and (most of all) EDGY.
This jumbly effect comes into the kitchen via the fusion route - the concept that it is culinarily acceptable to take traditional dishes from two different countries and stir them together a bit until they blend. In my opinion, however, it entirely overshoots the 'culinarily acceptable' category and soars effortlessly like a buzzard into 'highly endorsed and encouraged'. It is for this reason that I say to you all FUSE YOUR DISHES RIGHT NOW. Any plate with fewer than two countries on it shall be heavily frowned upon. To avoid such intense disproval, follow these steps and achieve Italian/Indian greatness:

Acquire:
A pizza base, if you're feeling majorly snazzy make it yourself...but I would probs ceeb at this point and just use a ready made one
A handful of cubed paneer
Two tablespoons ricotta cheese
8-10 really ripe figs, thinly slicéd
Bit of salt and pep
A handful of basil leaves

Assemble:
Spread the ricotta on the pizza base
Scatter the paneer around (on the pizza base, not just about the room)
Pop the figs on
Salt and pep it
Bake for 10 - 12 mins at 200 degz
Sprinkle basil leaves over when cooked

Call it an Indalian creation and float around in a salwar kameez with a black leather man-bag to really embody the bi-cultural blend. Only two more things could possibly make you a more perfect hotchpotch, and these are, OF COURSE, a soundtrack, and a literature.
To start with the musical accompaniment, some of you may be surprised to hear that is it not the cover song that I am going for, nay, it is instead a song with two clear halves; a song that spans two genres in distinct segments more similar to the idea of the sartorial mashup where it was easier to see the lines between the styles. Upon the Heath/A Tale of Two Cities by Mr.Hudson and The Library is this song - it is Mr.Hudson before he got all autotuned by Kanye, and it is therefore much much better than the more faaaymiiiss stuff. I feel, but am not 100% sure, that the title of the song is inspired by Dickens, which brings us on nicely to the bewk side of things.
For the literary mashup, you can look towards Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Sadly it's not the Peep Show Davey Mitch, but it is still pretty good...not wowworthy but still enjoyable enough to read. It spans six hugely different stories in a kind of pyramid shape as it progresses and then climbs down in reverse order, so the first story you read is also the last one. Furthermore, being written in 2004, it can be seen as an early mashup novel and can be recommended on this merit, if not an intellectually stimulating one.

No comments:

Post a Comment